Monday 24 September 2012

Needed a Colour Hit & Found a Rimmel Review.

Today has been so cold, dark & wet that I needed a colour injection to boost my spirits this evening. Was riffling through my lipsticks I stumbled across this little gem from Rimmel, a quick slick later and I was feeling perky enough to write a little review. 


Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss (01)

I bought this lipstick in Sainsbury's for £5.49. I'll admit it was a panic buy, the morning of a wedding and all my reds were a bit too dark for my outfit. In the tube this looks a bit brown but I'm glad I swatched it in the shop as it is actually quite a 'red' red. It seems to morph into a cherry red as soon as its applied and although bright is very wearable. I know a few people who have tried this shade and it seems to suit everybody from fair to medium-dark. 

The packaging is a fairly basic matt black tube but doesn't look as cheap as it should for just over a fiver. I do have a little gripe though, the plastic seal was so super sticky that it left a residue on the tube that needed a good scrub with nail polish remover before I could put it in my handbag!!! 
I really like the 'sweetie' smell of Rimmel lipsticks, always reminds me of those candy necklaces, but it may not be for everybody. It isn't overpowering but it is noticeable. The formula is very smooth and leaves a subtle glossy finish. Pigment wise I'm impressed for the price and it really does last quite well. I wear it over a Rimmel Exaggerate lip pencil (see below) and get about 4 hours of wear before I need to reapply. I'm normally adamant about the use of a lip brush, especially with bold colours but I've found myself applying this straight from the tube on more than one occasion. I like the fact a light layer buffed out with a brush or cotton bud gives a pretty stain that isn't too drying like some lip tints can be. 
I'd be more than happy to try the other colours in this range as for the price I think you get a very decent lipstick, its a shame that the other 7 colours have failed to capture my imagination so far. 
L; 001 over 024 pencil. Centre; 024 pencil. R; 001 lipstick


Rimmel Exaggerate Full Colour Lip Liner Definer (Red Diva 024)

I've had this in my collection for probably 2 years now and use it quite a lot. I was trying to list the reasons I reach for this over my other red liners and I think the main one is not needing to sharpen it, making it good for taking out/reapplying. Its also smooth to apply and seems to work under a couple of my reds despite not being a perfect match. If I'm feeling lazy part way through and evening or for a daytime red lip I wear this alone or with a bit of Benefit's Her Glossiness over the top. It does dry out quite quickly on the lip so my lips need to be in good condition for it to work alone. 

Vinyl Jelly Gloss Lip Liner

Whilst I'm on the subject of Rimmel Lips, their Vinyl Jelly Gloss Lip Liners are worth a mention. I saw these on eBay for £1.75 each, I think they've been discontinued now as I can't find them at Boots or Superdrug. I have 009 Hot Spark and 001 Moreish. I wasn't quite sure about these to start with, I used them underneath gloss and my lips feel overwhelmed by product and they colour didn't last more than half a drink! When I tried them solo however I found them to be somewhere between a lipstick and a gloss and the colour lasted much longer (a coffee and a cigarette at least). I like how they give more depth of colour than a gloss, make it easy to define the lip and feel very smooth. Due to the very soft formula though they do need sharpening before every application which makes them pretty much a no go for a night out (do you take a sharpener in your clutch? Thought not!). I'm not surprised these have not been a hit but if you can pick them up super cheap on eBay, they're worth a try for subtle Saturday afternoon lips. They're probably best described as cheap as chips but much skinner and less moisture rich versions of the clinique chubby sticks with a bit more pigmentation. 
009 Hot Spark

001 Moreish


No comments:

Post a Comment